Subscribe to our free daily newsletters
  Energy News  




Subscribe to our free daily newsletters



WAR REPORT
NATO 'careful' over air strikes, 'rebel' oil leaves Tobruk

Unlikely Libya rebels can oust Kadhafi: US general
Washington (AFP) April 7, 2011 - A top US general said Thursday it was unlikely that Libya's rebel forces could launch an assault on Tripoli and oust the regime's leader Moamer Kadhafi. General Carter Ham, who led the first stage of the coalition air campaign against Libya's regime, acknowledged the conflict between Kadhafi's troops and opposition forces was turning into a stalemate. Asked at a Senate hearing about the chances that the opposition could "fight their way" to Tripoli and replace Kadhafi, Ham said: "Sir, I would assess that as a low likelihood." And when pressed by Senator John McCain whether the situation was essentially a stalmemate or an "emerging stalemate," Ham said: "Senator, I would agree with that at present on the ground."

Under tough questioning, the general said a stalemate is "not the preferred solution" in Libya but that outcome appeared "more likely" now than at the outset of the air campaign launched March 19. The exchange underscored growing concern in Washington and European capitals that the fight in Libya could be deadlocked, with Kadhafi firmly in control in Tripoli and badly-organized rebels unable to turn the tide even under the cover of NATO-led air power. Ham, head of the US military's Africa Command, said bombing raids had undercut the regime's ability to target civilians -- except in the besieged city of Misrata. The air strikes launched last month had "significantly degraded" the regime's ability "to attack civilians with the notable omission of Misrata," he said. The rag-tag rebels are struggling to defend Misrata, Libya's third city, under an onslaught from better armed regime forces equipped with tanks and artillery.

Ham said Kadhafi had moved tanks and troops into parts of the city and that had made air strikes more difficult to carry out without endangering civilians. The US military pulled back about 50 combat aircraft this week from the UN-mandated air campaign as NATO took command of the Libya operation, which is designed to protect civilians from attacks by regime troops. But Ham said the US AC-130 gunships, which can target tanks and ground targets with powerful guns, were now available to the NATO commander of the air operation if he needed them. US military leaders had previously said the side-firing AC-130 aircraft, along with other ground-attack planes and fighters, would be withdrawn and placed on standby, pending a request from the NATO alliance. Ham said another warplane designed to knock out tanks, the A-10 Thunderbolt, was "on-call" but not immediately available to NATO like the AC-130 gunships.
by Staff Writers
Ajdabiya, Libya (AFP) April 7, 2011
NATO, accused of mission failure by Libyan rebels, admitted Wednesday it must be "particularly careful" with its air strikes as government troops use civilians as human shields, but vowed to do everything to protect residents of Misrata.

France pledged to open a sea corridor to the besieged Mediterranean port, while UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon made a new "urgent call for an immediate cessation of the indiscriminate use of military force against the civilian population," his spokesman said.

Libyan strongman Moamer Kadhafi wrote to President Barack Obama, but the letter was rejected by the White House.

A tanker left the port of Tobruk on Wednesday carrying the first consignment of oil since the rebel government won recognition from some countries.

But the country's deputy foreign minister Khaled Kaim accused Britain of bombing Libya's biggest oil field at Al-Sarir in the southeast, notably damaging the pipeline linking Al-Sarir and Tobruk, which is under rebel control.

"British fighter bombers raided the Al-Sarir oil field, killing three guards at the site and wounding other people working at the field," Kaim said at a news conference Wednesday.

Rear Admiral Russell Harding, NATO's deputy commander of operations, told journalists that "NATO forces have been particularly careful to avoid injury to civilians who are in close proximity to the fighting, often precisely because of the tactics of government forces."

Kadhafi loyalists "have increasingly shifted to non-conventional tactics, blending in with road traffic and using civilian life as a shield for their advance," he said at the base in Naples overseeing operations.

The mandate to protect the civilian population was more challenging because of the stipulations of the UN Security Council resolution approving the mission, which explicitly rules out the use of ground troops, he said.

Libyan forces using these new tactics were moving eastwards "in the direction of Ajdabiya, posing a direct threat to that city and beyond that to Benghazi".

NATO has responded with "direct strikes on advancing forces and their logistics and munitions supply chains," he said.

"NATO has also used surgical air strikes to sever the main supply route between Ajdabiya and Misrata," he said, referring to Libya's third largest city which has a population of 500,000 and has been besieged by Kadhafi forces for more than a month.

After the NATO alliance was forced on to the defensive when rebels urged the alliance to do more to protect Misrata, Harding said a "substantial number" of heavy vehicles and tanks had been destroyed in the area on Tuesday.

The top commander of rebel forces, Abdelfatah Yunis, accused NATO-led aircraft of doing nothing while loyalist forces kept up their 40-day long artillery bombardment of civilians in Misrata, 215 kilometres (130 miles) east of Tripoli.

NATO "is letting the people of Misrata die every day", Yunis told reporters in the rebel stronghold of Benghazi late on Tuesday.

"If NATO waits one more week, there will be nothing left in Misrata".

Yunis charged that if NATO wanted to break the city blockade, they would have done it several days ago.

"Every day, civilians -- elderly people and children -- are dying in Misrata", he said. "NATO has done nothing, they have just bombed here and there."

NATO insisted that the pace of air strikes against Kadhafi's forces has not slowed since the 28-nation alliance took command on March 31 of a Western bombing campaign that had been led by the United States.

"Misrata is our number one priority," NATO deputy spokeswoman Carmen Romero told AFP on Wednesday.

"We have a clear mandate and we will do everything to protect the civilians of Misrata," Romero said.

In Washington, the White House acknowledged receiving a letter from Kadhafi but rebuffed it, stressing that the strongman will be judged on his actions in ending violence against civilians and not his words.

"We can confirm that there is a letter, obviously not the first," White House spokesman Jay Carney said, adding that Obama had made clear several weeks ago that a ceasefire in Libya would be dependent on "actions not words, (and) a cessation of violence".

The official Libyan news agency JANA had said Kadhafi sent the letter to Obama following the withdrawal of US warplanes from frontline missions in the coalition air operation.

US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton sounded a dismissive note Wednesday when asked about the letter.

"I don't think there is any mystery about what is expected from Mr. Kadhafi at this time," she told reporters.

"I think that Mr. Kadhafi knows what he must do, there needs to be a ceasefire, his forces need to withdraw from the cities that they have forcibly taken at great violence and human cost.

"The sooner that occurs and the bloodshed ends, the better it will be for everyone," the chief US diplomat said.

In Paris, Defence Minister Gerard Longuet said Libyan rebels will now be able to supply Misrata by sea.

"We are going to ensure that... aid comes from Benghazi and that at no moment Kadhafi's military forces will be able to stop this," he told France Inter radio.

A tanker left Tobruk carrying the first consignment of oil since the rebel government won some international recognition.

The Greek-owned, Liberian-registered tanker had docked on Tuesday to load the consignment of crude worth up to 100 million dollars, the first since coalition air strikes began on March 19 and destined to finance the rebels.

Rebel fighters lost ground to loyalists Tuesday but a spokesman said such reverses were a normal occurrence in fluid desert wars and would pose no obstacle to Kadhafi's eventual overthrow.

burs/ps/mlm/mdl



Share This Article With Planet Earth
del.icio.usdel.icio.us DiggDigg RedditReddit
YahooMyWebYahooMyWeb GoogleGoogle FacebookFacebook



Related Links



Memory Foam Mattress Review
Newsletters :: SpaceDaily :: SpaceWar :: TerraDaily :: Energy Daily
XML Feeds :: Space News :: Earth News :: War News :: Solar Energy News


WAR REPORT
Israel lets Egypt know how it won in 1967
Tel Aviv, Israel (UPI) Apr 6, 2011
Amid concerns the new regime emerging in Cairo will be less committed to Egypt's historic 1979 peace treaty with Israel than ousted President Hosni Mubarak, it may be more than mere coincidence that the Jewish state has unveiled one of its best-kept secrets. Yossi Melman, a journalist and commentator with close links to Israeli intelligence, says that Operation Yated, or Stake, run duri ... read more







WAR REPORT
Mekong Countries To Convene Additional Meeting On Xayaburi Project

Facebook makes data centers greener and cheaper

Developing Commercial Hydrokinetic Energy Projects

New Zealand to slash emissions by half

WAR REPORT
Venezuela fights inflation in recovery bid

Exploring The Possibilities For Zeolites

Museveni tightens grip on Uganda's oil

Decision on South Stream route this summer

WAR REPORT
Manitoba wind farm comes online

Alstom Announces Commercial Operation Of First North American Wind Farms

Vestas unveils new offshore turbine

US hopes to resolve China wind turbine rift

WAR REPORT
GE to build massive solar plant

BlueChip Energy Announces Development Of 40MW Solar Farm In Florida

Industry Analyst Predicts 50 Percent Drop In Solar Project Costs

SolarBridge Named 2011 Edison Best New Product Awards Gold Winner

WAR REPORT
Researchers Improve Path To Producing Uranium Compounds For Advanced Nuclear Fuels

Toshiba 'could decommission Japan reactors in 10 years'

Japan nuclear watchdog tightens safety rules

German nuclear companies halt environmental payments

WAR REPORT
Economics, Physics Are Roadblocks For Mass-Scale Algae Biodiesel Production

Advance Toward Making Biodegradable Plastics From Waste Chicken Features

Short Rotation Energy Crops Could Help Meet UK's Renewable Energy Targets

Boeing Issues First Latin American Study On Jatropha Sustainability

WAR REPORT
What Future for Chang'e-2

China setting up new rocket production base

China's Tiangong-1 To Be Launched By Modified Long March II-F Rocket

China Expects To Launch Fifth Lunar Probe Chang'e-5 In 2017

WAR REPORT
Rich, poor nations feud at UN climate talks

Number Of Days Of Rain In Iberian Peninsula Has Increased Since 1903

Climate Beliefs Shift With Weather

Climate Change Poses Major Risks For Unprepared Cities


The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2010 - SpaceDaily. AFP and UPI Wire Stories are copyright Agence France-Presse and United Press International. ESA Portal Reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement,agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by SpaceDaily on any Web page published or hosted by SpaceDaily. Privacy Statement