Energy News  
Russia Lays To Rest The Last Sailors From The Kursk

Widow of the Kursk nuclear submarine commander Lyudmila Lyachina (L) and her son Gleb (C) pay their last respect by the coffin of Gennady Lyachin as an unidentified man (R) holds Lyachin's portrait during the funeral ceremony in St.Petersburg 23 March 2002. The last seven crew members of the Kursk submarine, which sank in the Barents Sea on 12 August 2000, were buried today in St.Petersburg. AFP/EPA Photo by Anatoly Maltsev

by Marina KorenevaSt Petersburg (AFP) Mar 23, 2002
The families of men who died in the sinking of the Kursk nuclear submarine honoured the last seven victims as they were laid to rest following a memorial service in Saint Petersburg on Saturday.

An Russian Orthodox priest presided at the funeral for the seven men, who included Kursk commander Gennady Lyachin, at the Peter the Great military institute. The service was broadcast nationally on the NTV television network.

Another brief service was held at the city's Serafimskoe cemetery, and many of the relatives were in tears as three volleys rang out after the coffins, borne by an honour guard of cadets, were laid in the ground in the cemetery's "heroes' section."

The seven sailors were among the 118 crew on board who died when the nuclear-powered submarine sank under still unexplained circumstances in the Barents Sea on August 12, 2000.

Their bodies had been the last to be identified, Russian Navy spokesman Igor Dygalo told AFP.

Lyachin was the last to be buried, in line with naval tradition.

One of those attending the memorial service held a portrait of Lyachin bearing the legend "Heroes of the Kursk".

"Today we say goodbye to the heroes of our fleet," the commander of the Russian Navy Admiral Vladimir Kuroyedov said.

"At the cost of their own lives, the commander and his team saved hundreds of thousands of other people's lives in northern Russia and in the Scandinavian countries by preventing a possible explosion of the nuclear reactor" on board the submarine, he said.

All Russian warships in the Northern Fleet -- which ply the Barents Sea -- as well as those in the Pacific Ocean, the Baltic and the Black Seas on Saturday lowered their flags to half-mast as a sign of respect, on Kuroyedov's orders, RIA Novosti news agency said.

After a long and painstaking operation which ended only this month, the authorities identified 115 of the 118 bodies or fragments of bodies recovered from the seabed.

The wreck of the Kursk was raised last October and transferred to dry dock in Roslyakovo near the northern port city of Murmansk.

In February, Kuroyedov gave the firmest indication to date that a torpedo explosion destroyed the Kursk, but was cautious not to say it was the definitive cause of the tragedy.

A preliminary report said a defective torpedo filled with a cheap but very volatile fuel that has not been used in Western navies in over four decades probably caused the disaster.

A final report is to be published in the latter half of the year.

Russia's Northern Fleet has been virtually confined to port since the Kursk sinking.

Community
Email This Article
Comment On This Article

Related Links
SpaceDaily
Search SpaceDaily
Subscribe To SpaceDaily Express
Naval Warfare in the 21st Century



Memory Foam Mattress Review
Newsletters :: SpaceDaily :: SpaceWar :: TerraDaily :: Energy Daily
XML Feeds :: Space News :: Earth News :: War News :: Solar Energy News


Russian Submarine Crew Saved After British Rescue Intervention
Petropavlovsk, Russia (AFP) Aug 7, 2005
Seven Russian sailors trapped for three days on the ocean floor in a small submarine off Russia's Pacific coast were retrieved alive and well Sunday after a British undersea robot cut the vessel free of debris, Russian naval officials said.







  • Beacon Power Installs Its Next Generation 6kWh Flywheel System At WinDBreak Cable
  • More Reliable Power Sought

  • Russia Awash In Nuclear Leftovers
  • Sweden Wrestles With Nuclear Phase-Out Commitment
  • Russia Edges Closer To Importing Of Nuclear Waste
  • Armenia Courts Nuclear Disaster To Keep The Lights On









  • Boeing Signs Technology Development Agreement With JAI For Work On Sonic Cruiser
  • Boeing Sonic Cruiser Completes First Wind Tunnel Tests



  • The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2006 - SpaceDaily.AFP and UPI Wire Stories are copyright Agence France-Presse and United Press International. ESA PortalReports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additionalcopyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement,agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by SpaceDaily on any Web page published or hosted by SpaceDaily. Privacy Statement