by Staff Writers
Ulan Bator (AFP) Sept 17, 2011
Mongolia's National Security Council (NSC) has rejected a tentative deal struck in July with foreign firms to develop a vast coal deposit, a presidential spokeswoman said Saturday.
The move is likely to deal a blow to US mining giant Peabody Energy, China's Shenhua and a Russian-led consortium that had been announced as winners of the right to mine part of Tavan Tolgoi, the world's largest untapped coal deposit.
On Saturday, S. Batzaya, a spokeswoman for President Tsakhia Elbegdorj, told AFP the council -- which consists of the president, prime minister and parliamentary speaker -- had rejected the deal, without providing more details.
The announcement in July stipulated that 40 percent of a contract to mine the western section of Tavan Tolgoi had been awarded to Shenhua, 24 percent to Peabody and 36 percent to a consortium of Russian and Mongolian firms.
But Japanese and Korean officials immediately complained of an unfair bidding process after firms from both their countries were left off the list. Officials in Ulan Bator later said the decision had not been finalised.
Analysts say Tavan Tolgoi has huge political implications for the government of Mongolia -- a mineral-rich country which is nevertheless desperately poor -- both at home and abroad.
Authorities hope that the money they will make from Tavan Tolgoi will enable them to pull thousands out of poverty, and are reluctant to appear to be giving away too much of their prized asset to foreign companies.
At the same time, the government of the landlocked country is working to accommodate its neighbours China and Russia, while seeking closer ties with the United States -- all of which have an interest in Tavan Tolgoi.
The deposit has an estimated 6.4 billion tonnes of coal reserves, the majority of which is high grade coking coal used in the production of steel.
Around 15 million tonnes of coal is expected to be extracted annually, giving the mine a lifespan of a hundred years or more.
An Ulan Bator-based analyst familiar with the issue, who declined to be named, told AFP the NSC's rejection of the deal could have been motivated by a desire to score points with the electorate.
"They know that making choices to give more to the public will be viewed as patriotic decisions," he told AFP.
"We can expect to see many blocks along the way but I believe at some point it will be approved. It will just take some time."
Surviving the Pits
Comment on this article via your Facebook, Yahoo, AOL, Hotmail login.
India's coal projects face obstacles
New Delhi (UPI) Sep 12, 2011
India's increasing energy needs are being hampered by regulatory delays for coal mining projects. India could import around 250 million tons of coal a year by 2015, more than double import levels this year, says Indian Coal Minister Sriprakash Jaiswal. Coal accounts for approximately two-thirds of total energy production in India. Although India has the fifth-largest coal reserve ... read more
|The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2011 - Space Media Network. AFP and UPI Wire Stories are copyright Agence France-Presse and United Press International. ESA Portal Reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement,agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement|