by Staff Writers
Brussels (AFP) June 22, 2017
A push by French President Emmanuel Macron to hand Brussels more powers to control Chinese investments in Europe's key industries faced a setback on Thursday from EU partners who fear a rise of protectionism.
European leaders will discuss the thorny topic of international trade on the second day of an EU summit on Friday, as Europe seeks to champion free trade against the protectionist policies of US President Donald Trump.
But Macron, who firmly denied any slight, wanted to put a special focus on the wave of blockbuster investments by China in Europe that has startled some Europeans.
According to a draft of the summit conclusions seen by AFP, opponents of Macron's efforts have succeeded in watering down an earlier proposal.
In the latest draft, leaders will only ask the European Commission, the EU's executive arm, to "examine the need" to screen investments from countries outside the EU, with China the main target.
The leaders will then "revert to this issue at one of its future meetings," delaying any discussion to an unspecified date, the conclusions will say.
Arriving for the two days of talks, the French leader denied the development was a setback.
"On investments, very clearly, the conclusions reflect our wishes," Macron said.
"I hope we can have... a Europe that is absolutely open to free trade and our values, but that leaves us protected when others break the rules," he said.
"We are asking the commission to work on it."
Macron's idea had faced significant opposition from Sweden, Finland and the Czech Republic, as well as European Trade Commissioner Cecilia Malmstroem, all highly suspicious of French-style meddling in the open market.
EU governments agreed to at least include the idea in the summit conclusions as a gesture to Macron, whom leaders want to congratulate for roundly defeating the far right Marine Le Pen in elections last month.
"If you look at the draft summit conclusions you will find a collective effort to not make life excessively complicated for Macron -- on the understanding that he will deliver on promises and reforms," a senior EU diplomat said on condition of anonymity.
Washington (AFP) June 19, 2017
Renegotiating the North American Free Trade Agreement could take until next year, US Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross said Monday. The remarks underscore the pressures facing the current administration as it attempts to deliver on one of President Donald Trump's signature campaign pledges. Speaking at a trade event near Washington, Ross said that in an "ideal world" talks would be complete ... read more
Global Trade News
|The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2017 - Space Media Network. All websites are published in Australia and are solely subject to Australian law and governed by Fair Use principals for news reporting and research purposes. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA news reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. All articles labeled "by Staff Writers" include reports supplied to Space Media Network by industry news wires, PR agencies, corporate press officers and the like. Such articles are individually curated and edited by Space Media Network staff on the basis of the report's information value to our industry and professional readership. Advertising does not imply endorsement, agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement|