Energy News  





. Ethiopia Says Eritrea Behind Chinese Oil Facility Bloodbath

Addis Ababa regularly accuses Eritrea of backing Ethiopian separatist groups that have carried out a series of bombs attacks in Addis Ababa in recent years, and of attacking civilian positions in southern and eastern Ethiopia.
by Staff Writers
Addis Ababa (AFP) Apr 25, 2007
Ethiopia on Wednesday accused arch-foe Eritrea of supporting the rebels who attacked a remote Chinese-run oil venture that killed 74 people, and abducted up to seven Chinese workers. Eritrea immediately denied the claim -- the latest in a string of accusations and counter-accusations between the rival neighbours.

"The perpetrator of the terrorist attack ... is the self-styled Ogaden National Liberation Front, a terrorist wing which is part of the front of destruction led by the Eritrean government," the Ethiopian Information Ministry said in a statement.

Up to seven Chinese workers were kidnapped in Tuesday's dawn raid on the oil prospection facility in Ethiopia's eastern Ogaden region, where the rebel group is fighting for the independence of ethnic Somalis.

"Hand-in-glove with the Eritrean government, which hates to see Ethiopia's development, the terrorist forces in the region have acted out this horrendous act of terror," the statement said.

Meanwhile, the president of Somali region, Abdulahi Hassen, told AFP that witnesses said the attackers had been wearing Eritrean army uniforms.

"It was the Eritrean commandoes and their international terrorist allies who were responsible for these inhumane acts on ordinary citizens. Their aim, like always, is sabotaging the country's economic facilities," said Abdulahi Hassen. Eritrea rejected the accusations, claiming Addis Ababa was seeking to trigger a war.

"The accusations are baseless," Eritrean Information Minister Ali Abdu said. "They want to create a pretext to take belligerent measures against Eritrea."

Ali said the ONLF was the result of a "failed Ethiopian racial policy" that had splintered Ethiopia into more than 30 rival ethnic groups.

"It is becoming clear that these kind of statements are intended to divert attention from Ethiopia's own domestic crisis," he told AFP.

Addis Ababa regularly accuses Eritrea of backing Ethiopian separatist groups that have carried out a series of bombs attacks in Addis Ababa in recent years, and of attacking civilian positions in southern and eastern Ethiopia.

The two nations, still at odds over an unresolved border dispute, fought a bloody 1998-2000 over the precise demarcation of their frontier.

Ethiopia said Wednesday that it would send an investigation team to the Ogaden oil prospection site, a government spokesman told AFP.

"Officials of the government are going there today, along with defense officials to assess the situation," said Berekat Simon, spokesman for Prime Minster Meles Zenawi.

"The government is committed to pursuing the perpetrators to bring them to justice," he added, making no comment about the abducted Chinese workers.

The ONLF said in an email to AFP on Tuesday that it was holding six Chinese workers and that they were being treated well. Chinese and Ethiopian officials had said seven Chinese were being held.

The group claimed responsibility for Tuesday's attack in a statement on its website in which it said it had completely destroyed the oil facility.

The raid was the first on an Ethiopian oil prospection site since the ONLF issued a threat to foreign companies operating in the eastern region one year ago.

The separatist group, formed in 1984, says that the Ogaden people have been marginalised and brutalised by Ethiopia.

China's foreign ministry condemned Tuesday's attack and called on the Ethiopian government to ensure the safety of Chinese workers, but observers said such violence was an inevitable part of Beijing's rising interests in Africa.

Source: Agence France-Presse

Email This Article

Related Links
Powering The World in the 21st Century at Energy-Daily.com
Our Polluted World and Cleaning It Up
China News From SinoDaily.com
Global Trade News
The Economy
All About Solar Energy at SolarDaily.com
Civil Nuclear Energy Science, Technology and News

EU Warns Russia Against Using Energy For Political Purposes
Vilnius (RIA Novosti) Apr 26, 2007
EU Energy Commissioner Andris Piebalgs and European MPs have urged Russia to abandon using energy as a political weapon and resume oil supplies to Lithuania. They adopted a joint statement saying that Russia and the EU are mutually dependent on energy, and that the majority of problems arise from political disagreements.

.
Get Our Free Newsletters Via Email
  



  • Rapid-Fire Pulse Brings Sandia Z Method Closer To Goal Of High-Yield Fusion Reactor
  • New Transmission Needed To Support Growing Texas Wind Generation Capacity
  • Ethiopia Says Eritrea Behind Chinese Oil Facility Bloodbath
  • Ethiopia Seeks Seized Chinese Oil Workers As Toll Rises

  • Russia Nuclear Power Paradox
  • Nuclear Power Not The Solution For China Says Official
  • Floating NPP Will Be Safer
  • Russian Built Reactor Block 1 Powers Up In China

  • Satellites Offer Sunny Outlook On Understanding Polar Climate With Help Of Cloudy Skies
  • No Easy Solution To Indonesian Haze Problem
  • NASA Aims To Clear Up Mystery Of Elusive Clouds At Edge Of Space
  • University Of Colorado Instruments To Launch On NASA Cloud Mission

  • How To Manage Forests In Hurricane Impact Zones
  • Museveni Defends Plans To Transfer Ugandan Forests To Indian Group
  • Greater Use Of Biofuels Threatens Rain Forests
  • Soybean Planting Hastens Drying Of Amazonia

  • Researcher Finds Negative Effects Of Colonization On Slash-And-Burn Farming In Borneo
  • More Nutritious And Less Toxic
  • Gates Grant To Help Poor Countries Contribute To Doomsday Seed Vault
  • Winter Flounder On The Fast Track To Recovery

  • Driverless Car Goes On Show In London
  • Made In USA Losing Cachet
  • Technique Creates Metal Memory And Could Lead To Vanishing Dents
  • Geneva Show Hints At Green Fuel Jumble For Motorists

  • Australia Fears Jet Flight Guilt Could Hit Tourism
  • New FAA Oceanic Air Traffic System Designed By Lockheed Martin Fully Operational
  • Nondestructive Testing Keeps Bagram Aircraft Flying
  • NASA Seeks New Research Proposals

  • Could NASA Get To Pluto Faster? Space Expert Says Yes - By Thinking Nuclear
  • NASA plans to send new robot to Jupiter
  • Los Alamos Hopes To Lead New Era Of Nuclear Space Tranportion With Jovian Mission
  • Boeing Selects Leader for Nuclear Space Systems Program

  • The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2006 - SpaceDaily.AFP and UPI Wire Stories are copyright Agence France-Presse and United Press International. ESA PortalReports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additionalcopyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement,agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by SpaceDaily on any Web page published or hosted by SpaceDaily. Privacy Statement