Energy News  





. Electricite de France In Running To Build Slovak Nuclear Plant

Each Bohunice reactor accounts for around 9.0 percent of Slovakia's electricity needs.
by Staff Writers
Bratislava (AFP) Jun 25, 2007
French state-owned electricity giant Electricite de France (EDF) is interested in building a new nuclear plant in Slovakia, the SITA news agency reported on Monday. "We would like to participate in the development of the electricity sector in Slovakia and to use our means and know how to develop new production capacity to ensure that Slovakia is self-sufficient as regards production," vice president of EDF's international unit Marc Boudier said after meeting Slovak premier Robert Fico.

EDF is interested in building a nuclear plant at the Jaslovske Bohunice site in the west of the country, where one Soviet-designed reactor was shut down at the end of last year at the insistance of the EU and another one is due to close by the end of 2008, the agency said.

Each Bohunice reactor accounts for around 9.0 percent of Slovakia's electricity needs.

German power giant EON is also in the running to buy a new nuclear plant in the booming Central European country, according to Slovak media reports.

Earlier this year Italian-based ENEL said it would complete two nuclear reactors in the country by 2013.

Work on the two reactors at Mochovce was frozen 15 years ago, shortly after the collapse of the former communist regime and ahead of Slovakia's independence in 1993 following the split of Czechoslovakia.

Enel has a 66 percent stake in Slovakia's biggest electricity producer, Slovenske Elektrarne, with the remaining 34 percent held by the state.

Email This Article

Related Links
Electricite de France (EDF)
Civil Nuclear Energy Science, Technology and News
Powering The World in the 21st Century at Energy-Daily.com




Tempur-Pedic Mattress Comparison

Newsletters :: SpaceDaily Express :: SpaceWar Express :: TerraDaily Express :: Energy Daily
XML Feeds :: Space News :: Earth News :: War News :: Solar Energy News
Ukraine To Move Away From Russian Design For Nuclear Plant
Kiev (RIA Novosti) Jun 26, 2007
Ukraine's nuclear power utility Energoatom said Monday a new reactor it plans to build in the country's south will break with a long-standing tradition of using Russian design and technology. "We imagine this unit as one of a non-Russian type," the company's chief executive, Andrei Derkach, was quoted as saying in a press release.

.
Get Our Free Newsletters Via Email
  



  • New Russian Tanker Company To Develop Arctic
  • Putin Pushes For Long-Term Energy Contracts For Black Sea States
  • Chinese City Turns Off The Air-Con Until Temperature Reaches 33 Celsius
  • Scientists Call For Global Push To Advance Research In Synthetic Biology

  • Ukraine To Move Away From Russian Design For Nuclear Plant
  • Cooling Problem Halts Russian Nuclear Reactor
  • Electricite de France In Running To Build Slovak Nuclear Plant
  • Mitsubishi And Areva To Bid For US Nuclear Power Plant

  • AIRS Global Map Of Carbon Dioxide From Space
  • Widespread Twilight Zone Detected Around Clouds
  • Rand Says Further Study Warranted On Save The World Air Technology
  • Noxious Lightning

  • Scientists Close In On Missing Carbon Sink
  • Indonesia Aims To Halve Haze-Causing Fires
  • Researchers Demonstrate Way To Control Tree Height
  • Human Activities Increasing Carbon Sequestration In Forests

  • Banned Chinese GM Rice Protein Found In Dutch Shipment To Cyprus
  • Wines Knocked Into Carbon Reduction
  • Down On The Virtual Farm With GrassGro 3
  • Annan Leads Drive To Reverse African Farming Decline

  • Billionaire Hopes To Move Entire Plant From Brazil To China
  • US Senate Clinches Fuel Economy Deal
  • Hybrids Or Diesels A Tough Call For Nissan-Renault
  • Debate Heats Up In US Over Coal Fuel For Cars

  • F-35 Lightning 2 Pushing Ahead On All Fronts
  • EU And US Launch Airline Pollution Initiative
  • easyJet Plans Greener Aircraft By 2015
  • Airbus Wants To Cut CO2 Emissions By Half By 2020

  • Could NASA Get To Pluto Faster? Space Expert Says Yes - By Thinking Nuclear
  • NASA plans to send new robot to Jupiter
  • Los Alamos Hopes To Lead New Era Of Nuclear Space Tranportion With Jovian Mission
  • Boeing Selects Leader for Nuclear Space Systems Program

  • The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2006 - SpaceDaily.AFP and UPI Wire Stories are copyright Agence France-Presse and United Press International. ESA PortalReports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additionalcopyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement,agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by SpaceDaily on any Web page published or hosted by SpaceDaily. Privacy Statement