by Staff Writers
Beijing (UPI) Nov 14, 2011
The Chinese government has placed blame on ConocoPhillips for the Bohai oil spill.
China's State Oceanic Administration said Houston-based ConocoPhillips was late in reporting the oil leak -- first detected on June 4 at the Penglai 19-3 oil field in Bohai Bay.
Penglai, jointly owned by ConocoPhillips with a 49 percent stake and China National Offshore Oil Corp. with a 51 percent stake, is one of China's largest offshore oil fields. Last year daily net crude oil production averaged approximately 56,000 barrels of oil per day.
Houston-based ConocoPhillips "didn't take measures urgently to address major risks, resulting in marine pollution and environmental damage to a marine area of 6,200 square kilometers (2,400 square miles)," China's State Oceanic Administration said in a statement on its Web site.
Analyses by environmental researchers at Hawaii University and Chinese Research Academy of Environmental Science indicate that more than 7,000 tons of oil had spilled into Bohai Bay as of late October, China Daily reports.
"Conoco was deficient in management of the field and didn't adopt the necessary measures after the spill, all of which caused a larger oil spill because of its negligence," SOA said.
The newspaper reports that company spokesman John McLemore, in an e-mailed response to SOA's statement, said, "ConocoPhillips sincerely regrets these unfortunate incidents. We have fully cooperated throughout the extensive and thorough investigation, and have learned very important lessons."
McLemore said ConocoPhillips is putting into practice additional, customized enhancements to improve the safety of its operations. "We believe these lessons will help us in China and around the world," he added.
Environmentalists said SOA's decision will help the legal case to move forward.
"The investigation shows ConocoPhillips' illegal operation directly caused the incident and it should pay for the damages, environmentally and economically," Wang Yamin, an associate professor at Shandong University's Marine College told China Daily.
"We can be sure ConocoPhillips not only hid the incident from the public, but also lied about the reason," said Ma Jun, director of China's Institute of Public and Environmental Affairs.
SOA said that ConocoPhillips was supposed to apply an oil production system known as separate zone water flooding technology. Its failure to do so, SOA said, increased the sea bed's instability near platform B and caused a spill on the sea bed.
In early September, SOA ordered a halt in operations in Penglai 19-3.
Fishermen affected by the spill have demanded a compensation fund of at least $472 million, saying that large amounts of shrimp, fish, shellfish and sea cucumber have died.
Powering The World in the 21st Century at Energy-Daily.com
Comment on this article via your Facebook, Yahoo, AOL, Hotmail login.
Chevron says suspending drilling after oil spill off Brazil
Rio De Janeiro (AFP) Nov 14, 2011
US energy giant Chevron said Monday it has suspended drilling following an oil spill in waters off Rio de Janeiro state which prompted Brazil to demand a "rigorous investigation." Chevron Brazil said it was "responding to oil seeps and a subsequent sheen that has occurred in the vicinity of the Chevron-operated Frade project located 370 kilometers (230 miles) offshore northeast of Rio De Jan ... read more
|The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2011 - Space Media Network. AFP and UPI Wire Stories are copyright Agence France-Presse and United Press International. ESA Portal Reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement,agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement|