by Staff Writers
Sofia (AFP) Jan 17, 2012
Bulgaria reversed on Tuesday plans to start shale gas exploration as it withdrew a five-year permit for test drilling that had been granted to the US oil giant Chevron, the government press office said.
The government cited "the lack of sufficient assurances that the commonly used shale gas drilling method of hydraulic fracturing or 'fracking' can guarantee environmental safety," to explain its decision.
The cabinet decided last June to grant Chevron a permit to explore and eventually develop shale gas deposits in a huge 4,398-square-kilometre (1,698-square-mile) field near Novi pazar, in northeastern Bulgaria.
The deal had not been officially signed but already faced massive protests in recent months from environmentalists, who called for the government to impose a moratorium on fracking for shale gas in the country.
The method, which uses high pressure injections of water, sand and chemicals to blast through rock and release oil and gas trapped inside, is widely used in the United States.
But opponents have slammed it as potentially harmful for the environment, raising concerns it could contaminate drinking water.
Bulgaria, which depends almost totally on Russian natural gas deliveries via Ukraine, saw shale gas as a way of diversifying supplies.
The country's reserves are estimated between 300 billion and one trillion cubic metres (392 billion - 1.3 trillion cubic yards) of gas, Energy Minister Traicho Traikov said, citing data from energy companies.
Vehement opposition to the deal however prompted parliamentarians to start debating this week a moratorium on shale gas exploration until environmental guarantees are introduced in the existing legislation.
Parliament was expected to review the moratorium on Wednesday.
Powering The World in the 21st Century at Energy-Daily.com
Comment on this article via your Facebook, Yahoo, AOL, Hotmail login.
Iran warns Saudi a oil sanctions debate deepens
Tehran (AFP) Jan 17, 2012
Iran warned Saudi Arabia on Tuesday to rethink an offer to make up for oil lost to world markets as a result of threatened curbs on its exports as diplomats said an EU embargo may be in force by July. Foreign Minister Ali Akbar Salehi urged Riyadh to "reflect" on its pledge to use its spare capacity to compensate for any reduction in Iran's oil sales that results from US-led efforts to tight ... read more
|The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2012 - Space Media Network. AFP and UPI Wire Stories are copyright Agence France-Presse and United Press International. ESA Portal Reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement,agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement|