by Staff Writers
Manila (AFP) July 4, 2016
A woman who campaigned against the expansion of coal-fired power plants in the Philippines has been killed, police said Monday, the latest death in one of the world's deadliest nations for environmental activists.
Gloria Capitan, 57, was shot in the head on Friday as she sat in her family's karaoke bar, police said, adding no suspects had been caught.
Greenpeace condemned the killing, saying it was yet another example of environmental defenders being murdered for standing up to powerful interests.
The Philippines is the second most dangerous country in the world for environment activists, with 33 killed last year, Global Witness said in a report last month.
Critics have long said that the country suffers from a "culture of impunity," where powerful figures believe they can kill opponents and critics without fear of being punished.
Capitan was the leader of a local group that campaigned against the expansion of coal interests in Mariveles and Bataan province, some 60 kilometres (37 miles) west of Manila.
"(Capitan's death) seems to be really related to her work in opposing the coal storage facility in Mariveles and the expansion of coal-fired power plants in Bataan," said Reuben Muni, a climate and energy campaigner with the Philippines branch of Greenpeace.
As of 2014, coal accounted for at least 31 percent of the Philippines' power supply, according to the government's energy department.
This proportion is likely to grow as more coal-fired power plants are built to cope with the surging demand for power.
West China Cement shares plunge following deal collapse
Major rival Anhui Conch Cement offered nearly $600 million for a controlling stake in the firm late last year, but China's commerce authorities failed to approve it by the June 30 deadline, scuttling the deal, Anhui Conch said on its website Thursday.
Hong Kong-listed shares of West China Cement dropped as much as 34 percent to HK$0.71 when it resumed trading Monday morning, compared to the previous close at HK$1.07. It was trading at HK$0.81 at 11:00 am (0300 GMT).
It was believed the merger was part of an effort by Beijing to tackle overcapacity in the industry, which is dominated by inefficient, largely state-owned firms.
A merger with Anhui Conch would also have given West China Cement, which posted losses of 309 million yuan ($46 million) last year, a boost with better financing access.
Analysts believe the deal collapse is a "business decision" given the firm's weak books.
"Investors had doubted about its accounting practices... It was trading down for a very long time until an upcoming Anhui Conch deal gave it a boost. Now the stamp of confidence is gone," Jackson Wong, associate director for Simsen Financial Group in Hong Kong, told AFP.
Rumours the deal was in danger saw its shares plunge 33 percent in Hong Kong on Tuesday before they were suspended from trading.
It has lost half its capitalisation in the last two trading days, according to Bloomberg News.
Wong said he believed Beijing would continue restructuring efforts despite the collapse of the deal.
"The Chinese government is still trying to push bigger players to merge with smaller players to improve capacity and efficiency," he said.
China's cement industry boomed during the country's three decades of massive investment in highways, airports, apartment buildings and office blocks, bloating to more than 3,300 firms.
Restructuring has been difficult as most major industrial firms have powerful political backers, making efforts to shutter or merge them particularly challenging in the face of vested interests.
Powering The World in the 21st Century at Energy-Daily.com
|The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2017 - Space Media Network. All websites are published in Australia and are solely subject to Australian law and governed by Fair Use principals for news reporting and research purposes. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA news reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. All articles labeled "by Staff Writers" include reports supplied to Space Media Network by industry news wires, PR agencies, corporate press officers and the like. Such articles are individually curated and edited by Space Media Network staff on the basis of the report's information value to our industry and professional readership. Advertising does not imply endorsement, agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement|