by Staff Writers
Tokyo (AFP) Aug 30, 2011
Restrictions on power use in and around Tokyo will be lifted two weeks earlier than scheduled thanks to an improved supply and demand balance as the peak summer heat eases, the government said Tuesday.
Japan imposed a 15 percent curb on the peak electricity consumption of large companies in the Tokyo and Tohoku regions on July 1, after the March 11 earthquake and tsunami triggered the Fukushima nuclear crisis and led to a serious power crunch in Asia's second-largest economy.
The industry ministry said it will end the power-saving drive on September 9 in the service area of the Fukushima plant's operator Tokyo Electric Power Co (TEPCO), two weeks earlier than originally planned.
The ministry also said it will remove the similar restriction in Tohoku Electric's territory, severely hit by the earthquake and tsunami, on Friday instead of September 9 as previously scheduled.
"The balance of power supply and demand in the Tokyo and Tohoku service areas has improved," the ministry said in a statement.
The early lifting of the order aims in part to alleviate its impact on reconstruction work in disaster-hit areas, the government said.
Under the power-saving drive aimed at cutting blackout risks after the loss of capacity, large companies that violate the decree would have faced fines of up to one million yen ($13,000).
Even after the power-saving order is lifted, the government is still asking large companies to try to cut back electricity use voluntarily by 15 percent due to concerns about the possibility of a late-summer heat wave next month.
Leading automakers who have cut peak power consumption by keeping plants idle on two weekdays instead of at weekends have no plans to change their schedule for the time being, a spokesman from the Japan Automobile Manufacturers Association said.
Comment on this article via your Facebook, Yahoo, AOL, Hotmail login.
Romanian official quits after carbon market suspension
Bucharest (AFP) Aug 29, 2011
The head of Romania's environment protection agency quit Monday after the Balkan country was blocked from selling carbon credits over concerns about irregularities, the government said. Iosif Nagy, named to the job in 2010, told Agerpres news agency he was paying for his predecessors' errors. The committee monitoring Kyoto Protocol compliance has suspended Romania from the programme due ... read more
|The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2011 - Space Media Network. AFP and UPI Wire Stories are copyright Agence France-Presse and United Press International. ESA Portal Reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement,agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement|