by Staff Writers
Tokyo (AFP) Aug 25, 2011
Japan on Thursday protested to Beijing a second time over the entry of two Chinese fishery patrol boats into waters near disputed Japanese-administered islands, the foreign ministry said.
Japanese Foreign Minister Takeaki Matsumoto lodged the renewed protest with the Chinese ambassador to Japan, Cheng Yonghua, the ministry said.
The move comes after the long-standing territorial row over the islands -- called Senkaku in Japan and Diaoyu in Chinese -- intensified early Wednesday.
The Japan coastguard said two Chinese fisheries patrol boats entered a 12-nautical-mile zone around the islands which Tokyo considers its territorial waters.
The islands -- also claimed by Taiwan -- have been the source of diplomatic rows at a time when Japan has also voiced concern about China's growing naval power.
Matsumoto told Cheng that it was "deeply regrettable" that the two Chinese patrol boats entered the waters in the East China Sea, the ministry said in Thursday's statement.
The envoy said he will immediately convey the minister's protest to Beijing but repeated China's position on the islands, the statement said.
On Wednesday, Japan's Vice Foreign Minister Kenichiro Sasae had summoned Cheng and protested the incident a first time.
Chief Cabinet Secretary Yukio Edano also said on Wednesday: "Japan reiterated that there is no question that the Senkaku islands are an integral part of Japanese territory, historically and under international law."
China's foreign ministry spokesman Ma Zhaoxu immediately said the boats were on a routine patrol and re-iterated Beijing's claim over the islands, state media reported.
In September last year, Beijing broke off all high-level contact with Tokyo after Japan detained a Chinese fishing boat captain whose vessel had collided with Japanese coastguard patrol ships in the same waters.
Japan eventually released the captain under strong pressure from China, a move that helped eased the tension.
Comment on this article via your Facebook, Yahoo, AOL, Hotmail login.
Vietnam to release anti-China protesters: govt
Hanoi (AFP) Aug 25, 2011
Vietnam was set Thursday to free the remaining three anti-China protesters in detention since a weekend crackdown on their rally in Hanoi, an official said. "It is expected that late afternoon today (Thursday) these people will be temporarily released," but their case will be further examined, foreign ministry spokeswoman Nguyen Phuong Nga told reporters. The three had been investigated ... read more
|The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2011 - Space Media Network. AFP and UPI Wire Stories are copyright Agence France-Presse and United Press International. ESA Portal Reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement,agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement|