by Staff Writers
Brasilia (AFP) Nov 23, 2011
Brazil on Wednesday suspended the exploration activities of US energy giant Chevron in its territory following an oil spill off Rio de Janeiro state.
The national oil agency ANP said Chevron Brazil's activities would be suspended until "the cause and those responsible for the spill have been identified and safety conditions have been restored in the area."
Chevron's top official in the country meanwhile apologized to lawmakers for the incident which could jeopardize its access to huge new offshore oil fields.
The sub-salt fields, which ANP says have reserves that could surpass 100 billion barrels of high-quality recoverable oil, are off the countrys southeast Atlantic coast beneath kilometers of ocean, bedrock, and hot salt-beds.
On November 8, a helicopter from Brazil's state-owned oil company Petrobras spotted a crude oil slick on the ocean and the leakage was traced by an underwater robot to a well operated by Chevron 1,200 meters (4,000 feet) deep near the Frade field, 370 kilometers (231 miles) northeast of the Rio de Janeiro coast.
Brazilian authorities say the spill is now under control and that the oil slick has been reduced to two square kilometers.
ANP on Wednesday also rejected a Chevron request to drill a new well in the Frade field in order to reach the sub-salt fields.
It said such drilling would "pose risks to the environment similar to those that occurred in the well where the spill occurred, but bigger and magnified by the greater depth."
"I sincerely apologize to the Brazilian people and government," George Buck, president of Chevron's subsidiary in Brazil, told the chamber of deputies.
"I would like to reiterate that we have deep respect for Brazil, for the Brazilian people, for the environment, for the laws and institutions of this country," he added.
"We are going to thoroughly investigate the accident and present the results to the Brazilian people...so that this does not happen again either here or in any other part of the world," Buck added.
Chevron now faces a slew of fines from federal and Rio state authorities that together could exceed $145 million.
Monday Buck said 2,400 barrels of oil seeped into the ocean between November 8 and 15 but ANP and a non-governmental organization respectively report 3,000 and 29,904 barrels.
The head of Brazil's environment agency Ibama, Curt Trennepohl, meanwhile said it has not been possible so far to quantify the damage caused to the environment.
"So far we have no evidence of fatalities among birds and fauna. Which does not mean they could not have occurred," he added.
ANP blamed Chevron for "negligence" in the investigation of basic data and in the formulation and execution of plans to abandon the leaking well "in addition to a lack of attention to the best practices of the industry."
Powering The World in the 21st Century at Energy-Daily.com
Comment on this article via your Facebook, Yahoo, AOL, Hotmail login.
Turkmens, Russia spar over gas reserves
Ashgabat, Turkmenistan (UPI) Nov 23, 2011
Ashgabat and Moscow have escalated their war of words over Russia's publicly stated doubts about the size of Turkmenistan's natural gas reserves. The Turkmen foreign ministry issued a sharply worded statement Saturday after Alexander Medvedev, deputy chief executive of the state-owned Russian gas monopoly Gazprom, questioned whether an audit of Turkmenistan's Caspian Sea reserves was ac ... read more
|The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2011 - Space Media Network. AFP and UPI Wire Stories are copyright Agence France-Presse and United Press International. ESA Portal Reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement,agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement|